October 20, 2010

the adventures of buying a coat

in November, I'm traveling overseas to a a pretty cold place.  Which means that I need a coat. Last winter, I got by with my puffy vest and my full length russian army coat. (I don't know why I call it my Russian army coat, because it doesn't look like anything like the guy in this video, but i do. It's grey and has epaulets, so that somehow makes it russian.)

However, since its going to be a lot of traveling and a lot of being in cold places,  I needed something warm and comfortable and "able-to-do-thing-in." That also had sleeves. (of the downsides of a poofy vest.

Thankfully, many of these coats exist. There are kind of ugly ones at old navy for $60. That seemed like a lot to spend on a coat I was only going to NEED for about 3 weeks. I moved on from old navy. There was a sort of ugly one at GAP for $40. I decided to buy it. Hoping that I could find something better, I kept moving through the mall.

At Burlington coat factory, the was "the coat." It was grey (yay, it will go with black or brown!) it had a hood (yay! my ears will be warm) and fleecy pockets (yay! my hands will be warm) It also did not have a price tag.

Normally, this is not a problem. There is a style number or something to refer to. But not here. This coat was tagless. All it had was a little plastic remnent of a tag that indicated it did indeed belong to this store.

The checkout girl didn't know what to do. So she called her manager. The manager thoroughly checked the coat for tags. Nope, none had secretly spawned while we were looking at it. She called over someone else. (I'd been standing here for about 15 minutes. These people were not paragons of speed.)

The other lady said that she'd go find another one of these coats to get the item number. "There aren't any more, I already looked," I told her. She didn't listen, and came back about 15 minutes later with an Ed Hardy jacket that looked nothing like the coat I was getting, and was $80 dollars.

"Ummmm, I don't think that is like my coat," I said. "That is not like her coat!" said the manager.

"Sooo, I really like this coat. But. . ."

The checkout girl suggested that I go do some more shopping.  "This was kind of my last stop."

The lady went back to try to find another coat that would better match mine to find a price. "Maybe you should go get lunch or something," resuggested the check-out girl.

30 minutes later, I came back. I waited in line for 15 minutes. As I reached the front of the line, the coat search lady came back with a comparable coat.

"Only 32.99!"

So for only 32.99 and an hour and a half, I got a new coat.

I won't tell you about how long it took me to return the other coat to GAP. Let's just say, today was not the day for speedy check out experiences.

2 comments:

Lattany said...

I'm so glad to know you won't be (1) a popsicle or (2) stiff like a snowman so that you're no help. ;) This makes me happy. Very happy! One week!

Jenna said...

haha, yes, I will have full range of motion for all sorts of child corralling. ;) (AAAAAHHH one week how did this happen?!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...