December 19, 2010

Christmas Songs

So it's Christmas time. Which means Christmas music. Which I love. (especially the rich old hymn-like christmas songs)

When you've sung christmas songs for a while, you think "you know what I'd like to do? I want to shake things up!  I want to make this awesome! I want to harmonize!"


Cool, right? I can sing. My voice is no celine dion, but I can carry a tune. And I've played a piano and stuff, so I know how harmony works.

I dig in. The first phrase is easy. And normally I can get that note. And generally the second phrase. But the third phrase always throws me off, and I realize I've hit a wrong note and it sounds terrible.

This leaves me with a few awkward options.

1. Keep forging ahead and sound terrible.  (this option is rarely good. Don't do this.)

2. Stop singing suddenly and start coughing and make a face as though something terrible like a DEMON OF SOUND just flew in your throat and you don't know HOW you ended up sounding so terrible.

3. Search wildly with your voice -- kind of slide around, until you find the right note (or maybe can land back on the melody) This is what I try to do a lot. This normally makes it sound like I have an autotuner on the fritz in my vocal chords.

This is why I am never going to be part of a famous accapella group.

good harmonizors of the world, I salute you. When I grow up, I want to be like you. However, until then, I really need to resist the urges to destroy good music.

all this to say, welcome back to my blog!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...