May 07, 2012

corona cupcakes (you know that's right)


corona lime cupcakes
Pinterest is good for a lot of things. It's nice for keeping track of stuff you'd like to remind yourself of (like how to fold a tshirt japanese style!) or for looking at clothing you will never be able to justify buying (I'm talking to you, pleated pink and blue skirt.) It also is good for reminding you that holidays are coming up and maybe you should make something to celebrate!

So, thanks to Krystal pinning a recipe from Lauren Conrad (who thought I would ever link to her?) via the Sweet Tooth Blog, I remembered that it was Cinco de Mayo last Saturday, which meant I needed to make (what else?) --Corona cupcakes!

These are pretty delicious. We even froze some before frosting to eat later (with new frosting) and they were still fantastic. You guys should definitely try these.

Corona Cupcakes
(via  Erica's Sweet Tooth)


For the cupcakes: 
3/4 cups butter, at room temperature
1 3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
Zest of 1 lime
1 cup Corona beer, plus more for brushing on tops
1/4 cup milk

1. Start! Preheat your oven to 375 degrees, and line your muffin tins with cupcake liners. Warning--these cupcakes do not have very domed tops, they tend to spread, so I recommend greasing the top of your cupcake pan (I used Pam) so they don't stick.

2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. 

3. Beat together your butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at at a time. Once that is all combined, stir in the vanilla and lime zest.

4. Combine the beer and milk. It will look disgusting, but trust me, it will make for a good cupcake. Alternate pouring the beermilk and the flour mixture into the mixer, until all combined. 

5. Fill cupcake cups 2/3 full (ere on the scant 2/3 side) and bake for 18 minutes. Sometimes they needed more like 20. Either way, check and see if they are brown or if a toothpick comes out clean. 

6. Optional: When they come out, prick the tops of the cupcakes with a toothpick and brush beer over the top. I didn't do this because I tripled the recipe and therefore had used all my beer in the actual cupcakes.

For the frosting
12 oz cream cheese, room temperature
6 tbsp butter,  room temperature
Juice of 1 lime (I made it with the juice of 2 limes, and that was even more wonderfully lime-y, but I leave it up to you)
Zest of 1 lime
4ish cups powdered sugar

1. Cream together the butter, cream cheese, lime juice, and lime zest until creamy. 

2. Start adding that powdered sugar. 4 cups of powdered sugar is going to make a pretty soft frosting. I knew I needed something a little more stiff since I would be transporting these, so I put in more about 6. Do whatever makes you feel happy. 

3. Once cupcakes are cooled, you can spread them with the frosting, or use a star tip and a pastry bag (I did) and pipe the frosting on. I topped it with light green sugar, instead of actual lime wedges, because sugar is more fun to eat than wedges of lime. At least, I think so. Feel free to disagree.   

 4. Enjoy!




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...