May 30, 2012

Pho Junkies


Yesterday I was feeling pretty under the weather. Allergies or a cold or somehow both at once had turned me into a sneezing, sniffling, coughing, kleenex-clutching yuckball. (Sidenote: I bought claritin, hand sanitizer, and kleenex at the CVS near my office. The cashier looked at me very sympathetically) I knew that I wanted soup, but chicken noodle soup sounded so heavy. When it's almost 90 degrees outside, it's hard to get excited about winter food.

Then I remembered pho! I love pho. Even though pho is still hot, the flavors seem much more summer-like to me. So I read some reviews of the Vietnamese places near my office. They all looked mediocre What was I going to do?


Wait a minute. I work in DC. There are food trucks for every type of food you ever could want! And yes, there is a pho truck.


This is not your average pho truck.

Pho Junkies (@phojunkies) started relatively recently. I don't really understand how zombies and pho relate, but I guess engaging concept + good food is always a good choice?


Yes, the stickers above this picture say "So good, u will come back from the dead 4more" 


But was the pho actually good? The answer is yes. I got the beef pho, which came in a steaming bowl full of noodles, beef, bean sprouts, green onions, basil, and cilantro. So far, so good. The broth was flavorful and full, and even better with the jalepenos and lime they had included in a little side dish. Their truck says "noodles do not zombify," and I'm pretty sure they're right Or at least, I think I'm not a zombie.



If you do track down pho junkies, be prepared. The bowl is HOT! I was planning on walking back to my office, but there was no way I was going to be able to carry the bowl of pho, two containers of ingredients, chopsticks, and my wallet/phone/keys all the way back. So I ate in the park--not bad, just not the plan. Also, the single serving bowl I ate was $10. At our happy pho place by our house, you can get 2 bowls for about $18 and split it 3-4 ways easily---that would be a bad call from pho zombies. Everyone would be hungry, and then you might actually act a little zombie-esque.


So if you ever find yourself in DC in need of some pho (or a truck to hide in during the zombie apocalypse) Pho Junkies may be able to help you out.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...