January 17, 2013

a little rusty

When I blog consistently, like most things, it gets easier and easier. I notice things I want to tell the world, the small interactions that make life so funny and worth living.

But it's been an off time for a while. Between work and life and random extraneous commitments I feel like my time is hemmed in at every which way and writing takes a backseat to the pressing now.

Tonight I got home from work around 9:30. I could have gone to bed, right then and there, but I wanted to bake something. Something easy, something calming. So I pulled out the Smitten Kitchen cookbook (which if you don't have, I highly recommend) and flipped through to the cookies, because those are always easy to whip up.

Roll-out brownie cookies sounded perfect. There is a sweet calm in measuring flour--spoon, smooth, dump, spoon, smooth, dump, a reassurance of the dough forming beneath my hands, a small (and very sweet!) satisfaction when seven ingredients come together into heart shaped chocolate perfection.

So no, I didn't get to bed on time. But I made cookies, and felt better for it.

2 comments:

Bonnie T said...

I know the feeling! I love to bake, too. :)

piebelly.com said...

That, the feeling of familiar measuring spoons in your hand, watching the ingredients come together to make something so tasty, that's why I bake. It's the comforting thing to do when other things don't make sense. Geez, that's vague! Anyway, what you wrote just resonated with me. In fact I've baked three loaves of bread this week looking for some calmness. So I wanted to say hey!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...