December 29, 2014

grapefruit, orange, chocolate, and cookies!

these photos brought to you by my iphone 5s, since I brought my camera home from law school but not my battery charger






Earlier this month, I tried a cookie that had been made with lemon cake mix and white chocolate chips. I chose it out of all of the other cookies on the tray because I said "mmmm! citrus! in a cookie! I love citrus, I love cookies, a match made in heaven!!"

It was not great. I said "I can do better."

When discussing how to make this cookie better, (what else do you do while studying for law school finals?) some people pointed out that white chocolate is always the inferior chocolate, and dark chocolate would make this cookie sixteen times better. Thinking about chocolate and oranges made me think of these guys, which are one of my favorite Christmas treats. I've made chocolate orange cut out cookies before, but I wanted something more like a chocolate chip cookie.

But somewhere in my heart, I still wanted to better that lemon and white chocolate cookie. Something citrus and white chocolate and buttery and light --that would be good with a little bit of tea, and then afterwards you could eat the dark chocolate cookie with your coffee.

Like she's done many times before, Joy the Baker came to the rescue with her White Chocolate Grapefruit cookies. So here you go, friends. White chocolate and dark chocolate, grapefruit and orange, tea and coffee, deliciousness all around.


White Chocolate Grapefruit Cookies (by Joy the Baker)
I didn't adapt this recipe. I just made it.

Note 1: Due to some unforeseen circumstances (::cough:: people eating all of the test cookies that I had made) I had to make another batch straight from the dough I had put in the freezer. Those seemed to hold up better and not spread out so much. I recommend freezing this dough in a log and then slicing the cookies. See instructions for slice and bake here (2nd option) Yes, it does work even with cookie dough with chocolate chips in it.

Note 2: Joy is all like "choose your own adventure and add nuts to this if you want to!" Do not do this. The grapefruit flavor is pretty subtle combo'ed with the browned butter nuttiness. If you added actual nuts this would be a very boring cookie and probably would mostly taste like a pecan sandie.




Double Chocolate Orange Fudge Cookies
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
3 tablespoons butter (I used salted and forgot to add salt, so, get crazy if you're using unsalted)
2 teaspoons orange liqueur (you can omit, but may want to substitute orange extract)
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1.5 cups mini dark chocolate chips
Zest from 2 oranges (divided)
1/8 cup Sugar in the Raw or sanding sugar (large crystals)

Preheat the oven to 350F

Melt your chocolate chips and butter over low heat on the stove. You could also do this in the microwave in 30 second bursts, stirring frequently. When the butter and chocolate are almost completely melted, add the orange liqueur. This will be very thick and you will wonder if you have wrecked everything. You haven't.

While this is melting, mix together the eggs, sugar, and zest of 1.5 oranges. Add the chocolate mixture. You can do this by hand, but a mixer of some sort will make your life easier.

Combine the flour and baking powder, then add to the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined. Fold in the mini chocolate chips by hand. I used 1.5 cups by scientifically pouring them out of the bag until it looked like I had enough. Your measurements should be similarly precise.

Pop this dough in the fridge, and let cool for at least 30 minutes. While that's happening, combine the orange zest and sanding sugar, until you get orange colored and flavored sugar.

Scoop out the chilled cookie dough onto a cookie sheet, and top with a bit of the sugar. Cook for 10-12 minutes. The cookies will look underdone. As long as the edges are set, do not cook them any more! Take them out of the oven and they will be awesome.

Then you can have cookies for breakfast.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...